- Visit the SCVGS computer room in the Welcome Center with your research project. Go to our Club Room Calendar to see when our room will be open, or to sign up to monitor.
- Monthly Meeting: Tuesday, December 11, 2018, 1 to 3pm in the Activity Center, Navajo Room. Speaker Moreen Ferdie will open our eyes to Newspaper Research. Newspapers are a great source of family history details, giving us facts and stories of our ancestoro’s lives.
- ILR – Institute for Learning in Retirement – Genealogy for Beginners: Mondays, January 7, 21, 28 and February 4, 2019, 11am to 1pm in the Computer Club’s lab (next to the library in the Welcome Center). Are you interested in tracing your roots but not sure how to get started? Do you have information about your family but need to get it organized? Then this class is for you. We will talk about genealogy and learn some research tips and techniques during the first hour of each class. Then during the second hour we will practice what we learned on the computers in the computer lab. The focus will be for beginners but you should have basic computer skills (searching on the Internet, copying and pasting and saving information) to get the most out of this class. Instructor Andrea Houston was an IT professional in the Boston area for 20 years before she left to get a PhD from the University of Arizona and then taught in the LSU business school for 16 years. She has been retired for 5 years and genealogy has become one of her major retirement activities and passions. Learning about her family and the many interesting stories fascinates her. She is currently the president of the Sun City Vistoso Genealogy club. Sign up through ILR.
- Beginning Genealogy Class: Fridays, January 11 through February 15, 2019, 6 sessions, 1 to 3pm, in the Computer Club’s lab (next to the library in the Welcome Center, not in the SCVGS computer room). Must be a 2019 SCVGS member plus pay $20 fee to instructor Karen Hasselbach. Sign-up on participant list in the SCVGS computer room. For more information contact Karen by text to her phone number in the SCOV telephone book.
- Pinal County Geneologists Sixteenth Annual Genealogy Workshop: Saturday, January 26th, 2019, 8am to 4pm, at Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1555 N. Colorado, Casa Grande, AZ. Check-in begins at 8 am and first session begins at 9 am. There will be 20 sessions for both beginners and seasoned researchers. For class schedule, descriptions and handouts click here
- Family History Fair 2019: Saturday, February 2, 2019, 8:30 am to 4:00 pm, at Tucson Family History Center, 6901 E. Kenyon (near Broadway and Kolb). This is a FREE event. For class schedule and more information click here.
- ILR – Institute for Learning in Retirement – DNA, Mondays, February 11, 18, 25 and March 4th, 2019. Check back for more details. Sign-up through ILR.
- Visit the SCVGS library catalog to see what books are available in the club library. Click here for Online Catalog.
Dues and Membership
Annual dues are $20/person or $30/couple, payable in January for the calendar year. Checks should be made payabe to “SCVGS”. Our club is sponsored by Sun City Oro Valley. Club membership is limited to current and former residents.
Second Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Activity Center’s Navajo Room.
- December 11, 2018 Newspaper Research by Moreen Ferbie from GVGC
- January 8, 2019 Paper Trail of Death by Amy Urman of Nosy Wilma, LLC
- February 12, 2019 MindMapping by Nicole Elder Dyer
- March 12, 2019 MyHeritage by Sue Cerri from Sunflower Genealogy Club
- April 9, 2019 What Does Your Handwriting Reveal about your Self Confidence by Vesta Abel
- May 14, 2019 – to be announced
Guests are welcome.
Number of Visits
- 43,090 hits