Dues and MembershipAnnual dues are $20/person or $30/couple, payable in January for the calendar year. Dues may be paid in advance at our December meeting. Checks should be made payabe to "SCVGS". Our club is sponsored by Sun City Oro Valley. Club membership is limited to current and former residents.
Club room calendar
Monthly MeetingsSecond Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Activity Center's Navajo Room.
- December 13: Steve Packer
Using DNA Results in your Family History
- January 10: Pam Ingermanson,
- February 14: Robert Wilbanks,
Civil War History
- March 14: Suzanne Brayer,
- April 11: Duane Roan,
Writing About Family Members
- May 9: Holly Gibson,
- December 13: Steve Packer
Number of Visits
- 33,063 hits
I added December to the club room calendar. Sorry for the delay. Where did November go?
AncestryDNA is on sale for $69. The sale is through 10 PM, Monday, 11/28. I believe it will be an additional $10 for shipping.
Go to ancestyDNA.com or ancestry.com and search for the DNA kit in the store.
This is a great price and not likely to be offered again before Christmas.
All workshop information, registration forms, and lecture descriptions are available on the website at www.pinalctyazgen.com. A Syllabus is available for an additional $5.00 or may printed from the website. The Syllabus will not be available at the workshop.
There will be 20 sessions, including basic favorites and classes for seasoned researchers. A Question and Answer Forum will end the day’s activities.
The workshop is $20.00 which includes lunch. The cost will increase to $25.00 after January 14, 2017. There will be only two lunch choices for pre-registered guests: Chicken Salad (no nuts) or Ham & Cheese. No special requests, please. Walk-ins are welcome, however lunch will not be guaranteed for those registering after January 14.
SUN CITY VISTOSO GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY
Nov 8, 2016
- Welcome New Members- 4 new members.
- Welcome Visitors & Guests
- “Wait ‘til you hear what I found.” Holly Gibson went to her husbands’ class reunion and while there received 3 boxes of pictures, etc. from a cousin. In one box was a family Bible with many extras including scraps of material, pictures, births, deaths, marriages, and much more Holly displayed the Bible on the back table after the meeting. What a great find!!
Nancy Sopwith stopped at Salt Lake on the trip back this fall and found that the name Ludwig was actually Louis. This has helped with her ancestral research.
- Minutes of Oct 11 meeting, posted Oct 30 – Minutes were approved.
- Treasurer’s Report- Oct report Posted Nov 5, will be filed for audit. Big thank you to Mary Barr.
- Celebrate SCVGS 25th Anniversary 1991-2016 – Frances Rubino presented a history of our club and the information will be added to the History Notebook in the Genealogy Library. The information will also be displayed in the Display Case outside the Genealogy Room.
Please sign your name and the year you joined on the list by the sign in table. This along with a card will be given to Nelson Souloff, the first president.
- Committee Reports
- Mentoring- Help Sessions- Holly Gibson – There is a need for a German translator for
someone researching Belgium/ Luxembourg.
- Membership- Bob Oos – (182) paid members; (71) members present today
- Library Committee – Thank you Michael Carroll for helping with the election today.
Karen Hasselbach reminded those checking out books from the back table to return them to the genealogy library so others can check them out. There are more on the back table- remember to put your name on the list so she will know who checked them out.
- Genealogy Room Photos- Karen Jonaitis- new display is up with pictures of veterans. Of course, we’re always looking for more pictures (copies). Please add information about who, what, when, where and how related with the pictures.
- SIG’s (Special Interest Groups)
Legacy Family Tree- Barb Krecklow- Meets 1st Tuesday- Conference Room #3 at 1:00.
DAR- Lynne Brooke, Holly Gibson. – Nov 19th and Dec 10th there will be a meeting at the Oro Valley Public Library for DAR beginners from 1-3 pm. This is posted on the club web site.
Family Tree Maker- Looking for a new volunteer.
DNA- Teri & Art Petty. 3rd Wed, 1 PM This month will be on the 16th.
- Program Committee- Karen Hasselbach – Will meet in January for 2017-2018.
- Monitor Training – Joan Allen- there are 60 monitors- the duties are posted in the lab. Please sign up on the website. Fill up the time slots.
- Field Trips – Sign ups on the back table.
- Green Valley, Feb 4, 9-3, Thomas MacEntee, speaker approx. $50
- Green Valley, Nov 17, 1-3 PM Three programs:
(1) Sumner Walters will tell us how to use the GVGS FACEBOOK page.
(2) Research Logs by Debra Kabinier. Keeping track of all the work we do in
genealogy can be challenging. We often find ourselves picking up the same book
or looking at the same source more than once in our search to prove ancestor
data points. However, if we keep a research log, which is simply a list of sources
we have already searched or plan to search, we can avoid wasting our precious
time. This discussion will investigate Research Log formats to help you from
repeating your own research.
(3) Linda Hanson will present an introduction to DNA.
- Display Case – Helen & Bob Jennette- 25th anniversary will be displayed.
- Hospitality – Carol Fouch & Carol Bowman – signups sheet on the table.
- Search/Beginners Class – Barb Krecklow- $20, Jan. 2017; Class is full with 12 on the waiting list. Please check to see if your name, email and telephone are correct. She will be calling soon.
- Surnames – Members- Please review them at your convenience for accuracy
- Old Business
- Fast Rhino serviced of the 6 computers in genealogy lab and found no problems.
- New Business
- No new business
December Speaker: Steve Packer How to Use DNA in Family Research
Thank you to all the volunteers. It can’t be done without you.
Happy Thanksgiving to all. Enjoy your families and friends here and around the country.
Today’s Speaker: David Fryxell, 101 Best Websites
Adjourned for refreshments at 1:30pm.
Respectfully Submitted, Frances Everson, Secretary
Fold3 is offering free access to the following collections for a limited time this November. (Free access requires registration for a free Fold3 account.)
The World War II collection is free until Tuesday, November 8, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Find untold stories of your family’s WWII veterans with access to exclusive records, personal stories, photos, and more. Follow this link to search the WW II Collection for FREE through Tuesday.
Fold3’s Native American Collection is free until Tuesday, November 15, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. ET. Titles in the collection include Ratified Indian Treaties, Indian Census Rolls, Dawes Packets, Dawes Enrollment cards, and much, much more. Visit the Fold3 blog post Free*Access to the Native American Collection for additional information, or go directly to the Native American Collection webpage to start searching for FREE.