The meeting was called to order by President Norma Schellberg at 1 PM.
PRESIDENT’S REPORT: Norma Schellberg welcomed 56 members and 1 guest and made the following announcements:
- Former Secretary Liz Kelly passed away unexpected this summer. She was an active member and will be missed by all.
- Kathy Davidson was introduced as the new Secretary.
- There is an ASGS meeting tonight at 7 PM in Tucson. Topics are “Preserving Photographs” and “Copies and Copyright-Staying out of Trouble.”
- The GVGS meets on Thursday, Oct. 21 at 1 PM. Topics are “Funeral Home Records” and “Taking pictures of Headstones”.
- The ASGS “Haunting” Program is on Oct. 23 from 1 – 3.
- Dues for July 1 through December 31 are being accepted now.
- The Club Fair will be January 14.
- Our new Board Member-at-Large is Karen Hasselbach who was introduced.
- The Fall History Fair will be on Oct. 30 at the Langley Family History Center.
MINUTES: Kathy Davidson read the minutes from the May 11, 2010 meeting. They were approved as written.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Cleo Wolf read the Treasurer’s report as of Sept. 30. It will be filed for audit and can be found on our website.
- Ancestral Search – Barb Krecklow has trained 2 new facilitators and will be happy to train others.
- Beginner’s Class – begins on January 10. Ten people have signed up so far and cost is $10. It will be held on Mondays from 1 – 4 PM.
- Display Case – Barbara Merrill has moved and Sue Huffer needs help when it’s time to change the display.
- Field Trips – Announcements were displayed at the back of room and signup sheets for carpooling were available in the room.
- Hospitality – signup sheets for cookies/treats at future meetings were available.
- Library – Joan Allen reported that the Library Committee took inventory this summer and updated the catalog. The Library is featuring the United States this month.
- Membership – Russ Krecklow reported that we have 121 members.
- SIGS – Several SIG meetings were mentioned. The dates and times can be found on the SCVGS website under Calendar, Meeting and Events.
- Norma reported on the audit by Karen Haider and Dick Heiser last summer. While no longer required by the Association, because of the amount of money we have, the board feels we should continue audits. In addition, regular audits help protect the Treasurer.
- By-Law Revision – Due to Liz’s passing, it will be a while before the Committee gets back to the revisions.
- Norma presented the findings regarding but purchase of 5 new PCs (the MAC will stay). The Board chose Fast Rhino as the vendor that will both build and service them. The purchase does not include monitors as new ones were purchased last year. It was moved and seconded that up to $6,500 be spent for new PCs from Fast Rhino. It was unanimously approved by voice vote. The Society will approach the Foundation for assistance with the purchase. If the Foundation approves the project, members of the Society may donate money to the foundation and designate their contribution for this project.
- Mike Carroll and Sue Huffer made a presentation on the new SCVGS website. Members are encouraged to sign up for announcements using the signup button on the new website home page.
The meeting was adjourned by President by Norma Schellberg at 1:31 PM.
Kathy Davidson, Secretary