SCVGS General Meeting Minutes, Tuesday, November 8, 2011
The Meeting was called to order by President Mike Carroll at 1 PM.
Mike welcomed 66 members and 1 visitor.
1) The Green Valley Genealogical Society meeting is Thursday, November 17 from 1 to 3 PM. Sharon Scott will be speaking on economics and migration. The GVGS Annual Seminar is Friday and Saturday, February 17 & 18. See their website for information. No registration yet. Speaker will be Tom Jones, co-editor of the NGS Quarterly.
2) The Pima County GS meeting is Saturday, November 19, from 1 – 3 PM at UMC. Talks will be given by Paul Duffey on old-fashioned medical terms and by Rudy Bird on medicine during the American Revolution.
3) SaddleBrooke GC December meeting is Thursday, December 1. No other information available yet.
4) Family History Expo: Friday & Saturday, January 20 & 21, Mesa Convention Center. No other information available yet.
5) Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy: Salt Lake City, Monday, January 23 through Friday, January 27. Choose one of 5 weeklong classes: American, Welsh, Swedish or Midwestern US research, or Using Archives. Cost is $450. Tom Jones (see above) is one of the instructors for the Archives class.
MINUTES: The minutes of the October General meeting were approved as posted on the website.
TREASURER’S REPORT: Posted on the website and will be filed for audit.
1) Ancestral Search – Barb Krecklow is happy to train more facilitators. She says it’s not hard to learn.
2) Beginners’ Class – Barb K. reported that it is full, with a waiting list. If you can’t get in, don’t wait to start your genealogy, there’s lots of help available. Also, we have a “newer” – than the old one – MAC in the lab.
3) Display Case – Sue Huffer said to be sure to check out pg. 11 of the November Tipster. There’s an article on the evolution of the Tipster that mentions the Genealogy Society.
4) February Meeting – Sue Huffer reminded everyone that in lieu of the banquet, we will have a celebration of Arizona’s 100 Birthday at the end of the regular meeting.
5) DAR – Sue Huffer, Bonnie McGregor and Lynne Brooke will be available in the Havasu Room on November 17 at 1:30 PM to answer any questions you might have about the information required to join the DAR.
6) Field Trips – nothing to report
7) Genealogy Tree Photos – Karen Jonaitis asked that photos be placed in her drawer in the lab. (She’d like to not be disappointed next time she opens it). 4 X 6, copies only, and attach information on who it is, how related to you, when and where was taken, if known.
8) Hospitality – Shirley Nelson and Melba Niemuth – we are covered through the end of December.
9) Library – Mike Carroll – Two new books have been ordered, “Google Your Family Tree” and Geoff Rasmussen’s “The Unofficial Guide to Using Legacy Family Tree”.
10) Membership – Russ Krecklow reported, drum roll please, that we have 175 members.
There being neither any Old Business nor New Business, the meeting was adjourned at 1:20 PM by Mike. The next meeting will be Tuesday, December 13, at 1 PM.
Kathy Davidson, Secretary