Last spring some 20 club members signed up to help index the 1940 U.S. Federal Census. They’ve indexed some 68,000 records this year. Thanks to all of you!
Census indexing is finished, as you know, but there are still a lot of indexing projects available. Here is a short sample of projects currently available for download:
- US, Michigan—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- US, New York—WWI Draft Registration Cards, 1917–1918
- US, North Dakota—WWI Draft Registration Cards 1917–1918
- US, Oregon—WWI Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918
- US, Pennsylvania—WWI Draft Registration Cards 1917-1918
- US—General Index to Pension Files 1861-1934
These are all “beginner level” projects, and a quick look at the samples suggests the originals are all printed or typewritten, so there’s no need to decipher handwriting. A complete list of projects is available at this Family Search Indexing page.
If anybody who’s not already indexing would like to give it a try, please let me or Darwin know, and we’ll get you set up with the software you need. It would also be possible to pick one particular project for club members to focus on, to make it easier for us to help each other. There’s no obvious choice for this, though, so if you have any thoughts along these lines please let us know.