We started out with a “First Timers” breakfast with about 200 who were attending the conference for the very first time. Exchanged biz cards and related a short story about our research, etc. I’ve met some from outside Atlanta, Carnation, WA, from Virginia (where next years conference with be hosted by Richmond.) We had a NGS Board member sitting at our table and she peppered us with questions about what can they do better. (I dunno, I’m just gettin’ my feet wet with so many lectures to attend.) One really good lecture about Google Earth and making a story with photos or videos and then able to show other family members about one of their ancestors. None of my Dad’s G-kids knew him, so telling them a story woven around a map of the earth with pinpoints where he lived, plus his work and his other family might make a decent presentation some day. I’ll have to work on that. Todays’ talks were about newspapers, females with no maiden name known, a big push from MyHeritage.com to line up more subscribers. I forgot to tell you about the ‘big deal’ from a vendor, HeritageBooks.com . If you go to their site and order any book(s), at checkout use the code ngsvegas and you will receive a 20% discount. I haven’t looked at all of the various books they offer, but I’m sure there is something in there for everyone.
I’m still trying to find anyone else doing research in Iceland. 2 days to go and 2000 more attendees to talk with. More tomorrow.
Dues and Membership
Annual dues are $20/person or $30/couple, payable in January for the calendar year. Checks should be made payabe to “SCVGS”. Our club is sponsored by Sun City Oro Valley. Club membership is limited to current and former residents.
Second Tuesday at 1 p.m. in the Activity Center’s Navajo Room.
- October 8, 2019 – Persi, The Periodical Source Index by Nicole Dyer
- November 12, 2019 – Comparing Family Tree Maker, Legacy and Roots Magic by Katie Gertz
- December 10, 2019 – Lineage Societies Roundtable (DAR, SAR, Mayflower, Jamestown, etc.) by Lynne Brooke, Holly Gibson, Teri Petty, Art Petty
- January 14, 2020 – Preserving you Pictures and Documents by Melanie Sturgeon
- February 11, 2020 – Abbreviations and symbols found in genealogical research by Amy Urman
- March 10, 2020 – Courthouse Research by Sumner Walters
- April 14, 2020 – Searching in the Catalog in FamilySearch and a little bit about the Wiki by Pam Ingermanson
- May 12, 2020 – The Family History Guide with a little bit about what’s available at Tucson’s Family History Center East
Guests are welcome.
Number of Visits
- 45,789 hits