President Darwin Thornton called the meeting to order at 1 PM.
Darwin welcomed 97 members and 3 guests today, including 3 new members.
During the “Wait ‘til You Hear What I Found” segment, stories were shared about using Library of Congress “Chronicling America” website to track a quartet of wives of a serial monogamist great-grandfather, as well as how Ancestry.com and Google aided in tracing not only the speaker’s 20th great-grandmother to Iceland, but those ancestors to 450 B.C. (sources as yet unverified…)
ANNOUNCEMENTS – Details for the below events can be accessed from our club’s website.
- Pima County GS meeting is this Saturday, Jan. 18th, from 1 – 3 PM, featuring Barbara Salyer on “Civil Service Records.”
- Two conferences are on Saturday, Jan. 25th: Langley Family History Center in Tucson, 9 AM – 1:30 PM, no cost; and in Casa Grande, the Pinal Co. Genealogists workshop, an all-day event, for which registration is required by Jan. 17th.*
- SaddleBrooke GC is meeting Thursday, Feb. 6th with speaker Paul Duffey on “Tracing Overseas Ancestors.”
- Green Valley GS annual seminar is Saturday Feb. 8th, 9 AM – 4 PM. Marian Pierre-Louis will speak on a number of topics. Registration is required.*
The minutes of the Dec. 10, 2013 meeting were approved as posted on our website on Dec. 11, 2013.
The December 2013 Treasurer’s Report, posted Jan. 4th, will be filed for audit.
Membership – Russ Krecklow reported we have 112 members. 2014 dues are still being accepted.
Ancestral Search – Barb Krecklow – volunteer monitors are welcome. The Beginners’ Class is going well.
*Field Trips – Joan Eddy – In reference to the above Announcements, Joan has signup sheets for Pinal Co. and Green Valley events and will help coordinate carpools.
Hospitality – Shari Norris thanked those who brought goodies for today. A volunteer is needed to bring refreshments for February’s meeting. A signup sheet is at the table.
Display Case – Sue Huffer – “Family Skeletons” will be the theme of next week’s new display.
Genealogy Tree photos – Karen Jonaitis – Photos given by the Beginners’ Class will be going up on the Tree. Any Irish-themed photos are requested for the March display.
Library – Mike Carroll – A volunteer is needed to fill an open position on the committee. Let Mike know if you are interested.
Two new books have been added to the library:
-“The Fred Bausch Family – Backward & Forward” by member Cleo Wolf who donated a copy.
-“Family tree Guidebook to Europe: your essential guide to trace your genealogy in Europe.”
If anyone would like to purchase a book for the library, the committee will reimburse half the cost.
Program Committee – Karen Hasselbach for Karen Haider – Karen highly recommended the book “Discovering Your Female Ancestors” by Sharon DeBartolo Carmack.
SIGS – Cleo Wolf announced the following:
-Legacy SIG – Barb Krecklow – meets Wed. Jan. 15th from 1 – 3 PM.
-FamilyTreeMaker SIG – meets Tues. Jan. 28th from 1:30 to 3 PM in Conference Room 3.
-DAR – Sue Huffer – Thurs. Jan. 16th Help Session, in the Genealogy Library.
- The Club Fair is Feb. 7th from 1 – 3 PM in the Activity Center.
- SCOV Courtyard Sale is March 29th. Carol Bowman has volunteered her garage for storage of donated items beginning Jan. 25th. Please arrange with Carol before dropping off items. Watch the club website for updated information on the sale.
- The Mentoring Program is going well. If anyone is interested in one-on-one help, email Darwin with your topic of interest so you can be matched with the appropriate mentor.
- A volunteer is needed for the position of Treasurer. Current Treasurer Shirley Dubansky’s term expires June 30, 2014.
- A Chairperson is needed to form a volunteer committee for the Courtyard Sale: tasks such as organizing and pricing donated items; day-of-sale table setup, etc.
- Darwin presented the Board’s decision to open, on a trial basis, the Genealogy computer room one Saturday a month, beginning Sat. Jan. 25th, 9AM – noon. This is to accommodate those members whose work schedules interfere with weekday use of the lab. Peg Lombard will monitor on the 25th.
The speaker for the February 2014 general meeting is David Fryxell on the topic “Military Records.”
Today’s speaker is Steve Packer on “Family Tree on FamilySearch.org.”
The meeting was adjourned at 1:40 PM.