President Darwin Thornton called the meeting to order at 1 PM. He welcomed 3 guests and about 50 members.
During the “Wait ‘til You Hear What I Found” segment, we learned one of our Swedish members is or may be a descendant of Cnut the Great or King Canute, king of Denmark, England, Norway, and parts of Sweden.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – Details for the below events can be accessed from our club’s website.
- Pima County GS meets Saturday, April 19th featuring Jodi Strait on “Probate Records.”
- Green Valley GS meets Thursday, April 17th, Betty Gottsponer on “Recognizing Errors.”
- SaddleBrooke GC meets Thursday, May 1st: Chris Seggerman on “Newspapers for Research.”
- Pima County GS meets Saturday, April 12th 1 PM: Dr. Christine Laukaitis on “Using DNA to Predict Inherited Diseases.”
- Upcoming events:
- May 7-10 in Richmond, VA: The National Genealogical Society (NGS) Family History Conference.
- August 27-30 in San Antonio, TX: The Federation of Genealogical Societies (FGS) conference.
The minutes of the March 11, 2014 meeting were approved as posted on our website March 12th.
The March 2014 Treasurer’s Report, posted March 31st, will be filed for audit.
Hospitality – Shari Norris & Judy Fairchild – Many thanks to those who provided today’s refreshments.
Display Case – Sue Huffer reported the display of skeletons in the family tree will be replaced by photos of the Board of Directors. No inference is to be drawn from this.
Genealogy Room Photos – Karen Jonaitis says there will be a new display of ancestors’ photos soon.
Programs – Karen Haider announced the committee has found speakers for all of the 2014-2015 season. New committee volunteers are welcome, but the next meeting is not until the fall.
- Ireland SIG is on hold but Frances Rubino is available for mentoring.
- Family Tree Maker SIG is on hiatus until the fall.
- Legacy SIG meets Wed. April 16th at 1 PM in the room across from the lab.
- DAR SIG is on hold until fall but Sue Huffer is available for questions.
The Courtyard Sale was very successful, netting $750 give or take. Thanks to all who contributed and participated.
Mike Carroll and Lynne Brooke plan on starting a new SIG or book club in the fall. Members will read and discuss Tom Jones’ book Mastering Genealogical Proof. There are eight members so far, with room for a couple more. Contact Mike (email@example.com, 818-0556).
Club shirts are still available. Contact Darwin.
The slate of candidates for office for the 2014 – 2015 year is:
- President: Darwin Thornton
- Vice-president: Patrick McCarthy
- Secretary: Margie O’Hare
- Treasurer: Mary Barr
- Member-at-large: Frances Rubino
Patrick, Mary, and Frances will be new to the board. They were introduced and thanked for volunteering. The election will be held at the club’s May meeting.
The speaker for the May 13th, 2014 general meeting is Clarice Bird on “Land Contracts.”
Today’s speaker is Ann Eccles on “Following the Family Path to Ireland.”
The meeting was adjourned at 1:25 PM.
Mike Carroll for Margie O’Hare, Secretary