Prints for club rooms?

CensusTakerKaren Jonaitis updates the photo tree in our club rooms regularly. She just put up some new ones. Other than that, the room stays pretty much the same.

Some of us were chatting about possible changes. One would be to hang one or more prints. The website Art.com has reasonable prices and a wide selection. At left, for example, is Norman Rockwell’s “Census-taker,” a Saturday Evening Post cover from April 1940. That’s $40 for a 12 x 16 giclée (inkjet) print. Click here for an Art.com page showing this and other possibilities.

I’m wondering what anyone thinks. If you reply to this post I’ll receive your comment by email, and it will also be visible at our website. Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.

This entry was posted in SCVGS. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Prints for club rooms?

1. Norma Schellberg says:

Mike – What a great idea!!! I love the census print. Norman Rockwell did others that would also be applicable to genealogy. I know there are some immigrant ones for sure. Norma

2. John and Cherry Sand says:

I’m not sure that this would be a good use of the club funds. Perhaps there is free art that would suit our interests. John

Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:58:41 +0000 To: jocher_sand@hotmail.com

• Mike Carroll says:

John — Yes, how to pay for them would be an issue. We might pass the hat. The Board has to approve any club expenditures.

3. Anonymous says:

I think the “Census Taker” would be very appropriate.

4. Anonymous says:

Rockwell’s “The Census-taker” is very appropriate and I would vote for it! Bonnie Frasca

5. dreeves69@comcast.net says:

Mike,   Sounds like a good idea.   Dale Reeves

6. Anonymous says:

Good idea! It would brighten the room. Karen Jonaitis

7. Sue says:

Mike, Looking at the “sort” you did, there are a number of good choices, especially The Family Tree. Personally, I don’t think it is inappropriate to use Society funds.

• Mike Carroll says:

Sue, Yes, that “Family Tree” cover I found later is cute, with (I guess) Rockwell’s self-portrait as a kid at the top. That & the census taker are probably the best fits among what I could find at Art.com.

8. Christine Takerian says:

What is the goal of the adding the images? Is it to brighten the room? To add a focal point? I’m not sure about the print idea (not a Rockwell fan, I guess). For me it depends on the focus and the purpose of adding images/art work – and how often it would/should it be changed or be updated. I believe that the room lab is “for the membership”, so using the funds raised by the club are totally appropriate, especially when the goal is to provide a more inviting space for members to work in…