President Darwin Thornton called the meeting to order at 1 PM on December 9. He welcomed seventy members, including one new member, and two guests.
During the “Wait ‘til You Hear What I Found” segment, one of our members described recently attending a cousin’s 100th birthday party. She brought with her a 52-page long family tree chart of the grandparents and their 11 children, thus garnering lots of interest, new family information, and renewed connections. She also wowed the membership today by unrolling those 52 pages of ancestors.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – See the club website (www.scvgs.org) for links to and details for the below events – preregistration is necessary for some of the programs:
- Pima County GS meets Saturday, Jan. 17, 2015, featuring Steve Campos on “Restoring Old Photographs.”
- Green Valley GS meets Thursday, Dec. 18, 2014. The speaker is Jim Kimbrough with the topic “Clothing of the American Colonial Rifleman.” Also, on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015 GVGS holds their annual seminar featuring Judy Russell on the topic “Genealogy and the Law.”
- SaddleBrooke GC meets Thursday, Jan. 8, 2015 with Kristin Delaplane presenting “Capturing Family History through Oral Interviews.”
- Pinal County Genealogists has a day-long workshop on Saturday, Jan. 24, 2015 in Casa Grande.
- Langley Family History Library in Tucson is holding a conference on Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015.
- The FGS (Federation of Genealogical Societies) has a conference in Salt Lake City from Feb. 11-14, 2015.
- WVGS (West Valley Genealogical Society) in Sun City (Phoenix) is holding a day-long seminar on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015. Featured speaker is John Colletta discussing several topics.
- NGS (National Genealogical Society) annual conference occurs May 13-16, 2015 in St. Charles, Missouri.
- Dianne Parrott, a member of our club, is coordinating a research trip to the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, UT in early March 2015, most likely flying out on a Wednesday and returning to Tucson on a Saturday. If interested, please contact Dianne at 818-6471.
The minutes of the November 2014 meeting were approved as posted on our website Nov. 13th.
The November 2014 Treasurer’s Report, posted Dec. 2nd, will be filed for audit.
- Membership – Mary Barr announced 187 current members. Also, 2015 dues are due. Members can pay, preferably by check, at the next meeting or by placing payment in Mary’s drawer in the computer room.
- Ancestral Search/Monitor Training – Joan Allen urged those interested in being monitors to sign up on the sheet in the back of the room.
- Field Trips – Joan Eddy said she is coordinating travel by carpool for those interested in attending Pinal CG’s Jan. 24th seminar in Casa Grande; Green Valley GS’s seminar on Feb. 21st; and West Valley GS’s seminar, also on Feb. 21st, in Sun City Phoenix. Those interested in driving or getting a ride are urged to sign up on the sheets on the back table or to contact Joan.
- Hospitality – Shari Norris/Judy Fairchild. Judy thanked those who brought today’s refreshments. Volunteers are needed to provide goodies for the March and April 2015 meetings.
- Display Case – Sue Huffer explained that the current display of Christmas cards harkens back to 1845 England and a plan to increase postal business. The United States tradition began in 1874. Sue thanked members Karen Haider and Karen Hasselbach for their contributions to the display.
- Genealogy Room Photos – Karen Jonaitis accepts copies (not originals) of old family photos, preferably 4 x 6, with names of the individuals, dates if known, location, other information of interest, and your name and contact information. The photos can be dropped off at Karen’s drawer in the computer room.
- Library Committee – Mike Carroll said the NGS has come out with a set of very good genealogy research books by state. Anyone interested in making a donation to the Library toward the purchase of these books is most welcome. Also, contact Mike if you are not receiving new posts from the website and wish to get them.
- Program Committee – Karen Haider announced there will be a meeting in January 2015 to work on programs for the 2015-2016 season. Volunteers are needed and welcomed. Please contact Karen if interested in contributing to this important element of the club.
- Beginners’ Class – Barb Krecklow announced that the class is full and will begin in early January.
- As part of the transition to using SignUp Genius for computer and library room scheduling, weekly schedules will no longer be emailed after Jan. 1, 2015. Members are reminded to go to the club website and access SignUp Genius by clicking on the tree in the right hand corner. Room users will see the most up-to-date schedule, monitors can sign up for the various shifts, and the Havasu Room can be reserved.
- There is a sign-up sheet on the back table for those interested in ordering SCVGS polo or denim shirts with the club logo. Prices are $22 and $27.50 respectively.
- There will be openings on the Board for 2015-2016. Anyone interested is urged to talk with Darwin or any of the current Board members.
- A member survey will be made available in January 2015. Member input is a valuable aid for the Board’s effort to be responsive to club members’ interests and needs.
Today’s speaker is David Fryxell. His topic is “Best Websites for European Research.”
The speaker for our January 2015 general meeting is Steve Packer on “Economies and Immigration.”
The meeting was adjourned at 1:35 PM.
Margie O’Hare, Secretary