President Darwin Thornton called the meeting to order at 1 PM on February 10th. He welcomed one new member.
The minutes of the January 2015 meeting were approved as posted on our website Jan. 15th.
The December 2014 Treasurer’s Report, posted Jan. 31st, will be filed for audit.
ANNOUNCEMENTS – See the club website (www.scvgs.org) for links to and details for the below events – pre-registration is necessary for some of the programs:
- PCGS (Pima County Genealogy Society) Daniela Moneta will be speaking on DNA and its role in Genealogy at their General Meeting from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM on Saturday, Feb. 21, 2015 at University Medical Center, College of Medicine, Room 2117
- PCGS (Pima County Genealogy Society) a Writing Workshop 9:30 AM to 12:00 PM on Saturday, Feb. 28, 2015 at University Medical Center, Rooms 2500 C & D (just off the cafeteria).
- GVGS (Green Valley Genealogy Society) annual seminar featuring Judy Russell on “Genealogy and the Law.” on Saturday, Feb. 21 at 2800 S Camino Del Sol, Green Valley, AZ .
- Saddlebrooke Genealogy Club – No meeting instead a luncheon is taking place.
- FHSA (Family History Society of Arizona) Lisa Alzo is speaking on several subjects. (Sign up is online.) From 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM, Saturday March 7 at the Fountain Hills, AZ, community Center.
Membership – Mary Barr announced there are approximately 130 current members. 2015 dues are still being collected.
Monitor Training – Joan Allen stated two new monitors have signed up. She also gave some statistics on the monitoring and room usage.
Library Committee – Mike Carroll talked about several books coming to the library soon.
SIGS – Cleo Wolf
- FTM SIG meets Wednesday, 9:30-10:30 AM, Feb . 28, in Catalina Vista, Mt. Lemmon Room.
- Legacy SIG now meets the first Tuesday of the month. Their next meeting is March 3rd, 1 – 3 PM in the Welcome Center, Room 3; bringing your laptop is encouraged.
- DAR meets Tuesday, Feb. 17th from 1 – 3 PM in the Havasu Room (club library). Anyone is welcome to drop by and confer with Sue Huffer and Lynne Brooke.
Hospitality – Shari Norris & Judy Fairchild; Judy thanked those who brought today’s refreshments. They were looking for two new people to take over Hospitality Committee. Carol Bowman and Carol Fouch will be taking over The Hospitality Committee beginning in fall 2015.
Field Trips; Display Case; Genealogy Room Photos; Beginners’ Class – no reports.
- Darwin talked about the club’s website.
- Francis Rubino talked about the Club Fair. The club had received a lot of interest.
- Lost and Found. Darwin told the audience about printouts that are left behind from the printer are stored in a file drawer in the Genealogy room.
- Survey – Darwin went over the survey and briefly discusses the items on the survey.
- There will be openings on the Board for Vice-President for 2015-2016.. Contact any Board member about volunteering for this position. This is a nice way to “give back” to the club and bring fresh ideas that keep our club vital.
- 3 ring binder for Surnames is being update by Andrea Houston.
- We are looking for Volunteer of the Year nominations.
Today’s speaker is Betty Cook. Her topic is “Westward HO!!”
The speaker for the Mar. 10th general meeting is Suzanne Brayer on the topic “Evaluating Genealogical Evidence.”
The meeting was adjourned at 1:55 PM.
Patrick M. McCarthy, Vice President/Acting Secretary