Sun City Vistoso has provided the Genealogical Society with two adjacent rooms at the Vistoso Center. These rooms are known as the Family History Education and Research Center, or the FHE&RC, or just “the Center.” One room has desks with computers, while the other houses our library and also serves as a meeting room. Use of these rooms is restricted to Genealogical Society members.
The Center is open weekdays, from 9 to noon in the morning and 1 to 3 in the afternoon, whenever a member has volunteered to monitor. Please see our club room calendar for the current schedule.
The Center has seven computers available, five Windows PCs and two Macs. All computers have broadband internet access, with web browsers for access to online databases. The Windows computers offer Family Tree Maker, Legacy Family Tree, AniMap, and other genealogy software.
The Society pays for subscriptions to online databases which members may use at the Center:
- Ancestry – census, births, marriages, deaths, military service, immigration, land ownership and much more, both U.S. and foreign.
- Fold3 – historical documents from the U.S. National Archives.
- GenealogyBank – searchable archive of images of U.S. newspapers, from 1700 to the present.
- Newspapers.com – historical newspapers from the U.S. and beyond.
- MyHeritage – international records database
- FindMyPast – British and Irish historical records
- Archives.com – photos, newspapers and vital records
The Society over the years has put together a library of some 700 books. These include both how-to books for genealogy, and primary sources. The library catalog is available online at LibraryThing.